Saturday, September 02, 2006

Message from the President

What a glorious summer we are having! While the rest of Canada is suffering through the hottest weather on record, the increased heat has made Newfoundland the perfect place to be. I missed not seeing the icebergs but the whales are out in abundance this year. It’s unfortunate I didn’t have any company this summer but we were not expecting to still be here. We are thankful, especially my children, to be spending at least another year in St. John’s.

I hope you all have had an enjoyable and eventful summer. It’s a time when most of us head “home” to reconnect with friends and family. As I write this the rest of my family is packing for our vacation to Calgary and BC. I feel blessed that I have so many good friends and family that want to visit with me but it does make a vacation stressful when there are only so many hours in a day. Lucky for me my siblings (there are 10 of us made up of full, half and steps) are organizing a family reunion at Fairmont Hot Springs. What a great way to see everyone without putting a strain on your time.

It’s always difficult to say good-bye to friends we have made through Newcomers. Best wishes to the many that have moved this summer to new locations: Helen Martin, Marie Hanni, Peggy Taylor, Kelly Percifield, Morag Ritchie, Rhonda Lyons, and Beryl Pringle. I’m sure as I write this there will be someone I have missed but good luck to you all.

I look forward to visiting with all returning Newcomers at the September Social which is being held at the Newman Wine Vaults. This is a casual, fun evening that gives you a chance to meet people and learn what Newcomers has to offer so please invite a “new to the area” friend or neighbor.

We on the Executive are working together to ensure that we all have a very successful Newcomers’ year. You are encouraged to participate in the various interest groups, volunteer projects and special events.


Andrea Deutsch
President