Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Message From the Incoming President

When my husband first hinted of a move to St. John’s, I simply ignored him. When the talk became more persistent, I told him there was no way I was moving to Newfoundland. We compromised, and agreed to a 2-year temporary contract that guaranteed us a return move to Calgary. That was 6 years ago this month and I’m thankful for each and every day I’ve spent here.

The strong sense of community and the breathtaking ruggedness of this province have won me over but it’s the people and the friendships I have made that make this a truly great place. I had heard about the Newcomers’ club and waited patiently all summer for the first Newcomers Social in September.

The women I met were friendly, interesting and down to earth. I signed up for many of the interest groups and found my days were quickly filling up with a variety of activities. Through these groups I met women who shared the same interests, I learned about the community, made friends, and was able to try new things.

This is what Newcomers is really all about the friendships, sharing interests and support. I would like to thank the outgoing Executive and the Interest Group Conveners for their hard work this past year and welcome the incoming Executive for volunteering their time and energy for next year. I’m fortunate to be working with such a wonderful group of people. We should have no trouble making the upcoming year a positive, fun and rewarding experience for all Newcomer members.

To those who are moving on, good luck and best wishes. Everyone enjoy a safe and relaxing summer with family and friends. I hope to see many new faces in September along with all of our returning members. If you have any ideas or suggestions for next year or would like to volunteer in any way please give me a call or e-mail me.

Andrea D.
Incoming President